Sunday, August 31, 2008

A comment about comments . . .

When you set up a blog you are presented with a number of choices, such as do you want the host to promote your blog and do you want internet search engines to have access to your blog. I selected “no” to both.

As I’ve mentioned before, my intent with this has been to keep family and friends up-to-date on what’s going on, and in the process force me to distill and coalesce my thoughts on a regular basis toward the development of something approaching a workable game plan. And after that to attempt to share with you a sense of what it’s like to march and/or stumble through treatment.

In the process I’ve strived to maintain the freedom to say pretty much whatever’s on my mind. Some of you may have noticed that I do not indicate the names of doctors or medical facilities. I believe this provides me with more leeway for the conveyance of honest observations.

Many old friends and acquaintances that I haven’t seen in decades have gotten wind of the blog from family and friends. For some of you, the only way to get in touch with me has been via the “comment” feature. It has been so great to hear from you and I am very appreciative of your good wishes. So that I don’t unintentionally offend anyone, I’d like to clarify a couple of points.

All comments are sent to me by the host for my approval prior to “publication” on the blog. I see no reason not to publish comments as it is important for everybody that wants a voice to have one. However, I have recently elected to not publish several comments for the following reasons: they have contained the person’s full name and/or contact information and/or have included discussion of third parties. Please know that these comments have been received by me and are greatly appreciated. But I cannot edit comments, I can only publish or reject them in their entirety. Therefore, the lack of their inclusion in the blog is simply a result of my desire to protect the privacy of the commenter and/or other parties.

Please also understand that I cannot “reply” to comments. Also, if you have a comment that is intended for my eyes only, simply indicate that you do not wish the comment to be posted and your wishes will certainly be respected.

I am very gratified at the positive feedback I have received in response to the blog thus far, and am truly honored that so many of you have found it interesting enough to forward along to other friends and family. Please know that you continue to have my explicit permission to pass the blog along to third parties that may be interested.

My humble thanks to everyone who is accompanying me on this journey. You are the reason I never feel alone, even in the solitary confines of the occasional torpedo tube . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul, I continue to follow your blog EVERY day. The charming letter from the 8year old is a real tear jerker and your response is heartwarming. Guess Champ is your smelly dog?!

My boyfriend has been following your blog as well and he is utterly amazed at your writing ability, acumen, self effacement and wit, as am I. He says, "I'd really like to know this guy."

As for your culinary talents, what will it take to reveal how you make your pizzas, particularly the dessert one? We want to be on the "A" list for your next pizza fete!

Thinking of you,

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Isn't it an incredible world now, where everything and everyone can be so connected? Next time tho, if you want to round us all up, could you pass on Big C Round 4, and just do something like throw a big party?
In case you decide to take me up on the substitute sister gig, I've added my contact this time.
Take care.