Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Casket Toss, revisited.

I did not intend for my previous post to come across as preachy. Upon reread, however, it occurs to me that some of you may feel offended. If so, please accept my sincere apologies. Perhaps the point I was trying to make can be more effectively conveyed by deferring to a far more eloquent source than I.

As most of you know, Britain became involved in WWII more than two years earlier than the US. The country suffered tremendously, including a period of intense bombing. But British morale was never crushed.

On October 29, 1941, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill gave an address to students at Harrow School that included the following words:


“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

We stood all alone a year ago, and to many countries it seemed that our account was closed, we were finished. All this . . . gone and finished and liquidated . . . . But instead our country stood in the gap. There was no flinching and no thought of giving in; and by what seemed almost a miracle to those outside these Islands, though we ourselves never doubted it, we now find ourselves in a position where I say that we can be sure that we have only to persevere to conquer.”

Thirty-nine days later Pearl Harbor was attacked, leading to US military involvement in WWII.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't find your previous post preachy at all, and believe me, I know preachy. Those of us who have never had cancer ought to be willing to receive some education about the experience of those who have. Generally, I think responses like the one you received from your friend a week ago reflect their own (understandable) fear. We can all talk a big game hypothetically about what we might do should we come face to face with the enemy, but in reality most would shrink in fear and give in too quickly, whether to "experts" or to the enemy itself. You are teaching me much about courage and tenacity and shrewd thoughtfulness in battle. Call it preaching, call it educating or imparting wisdom, just keep doing it. We all have a lot to learn from you and the more we are willing to learn, the more we can assist you in the fight. Churchill is right. NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER GIVE IN. NEVER NEVER NEVER.